5 March 2008

Gangster talk...

Since the theme I'm trying to approach now is about the gangster culture and mob, I'm researching on gangster movie scripts such as "Goodfellas" and I found out that it involves a lot of swearing... 

The question is, can I use swear words in my narrative if I choose to?

3 comments:

featherhouse said...

You have to decide what is appropriate language for your project. But part of the brief is to created for the South Bank Arts Trail, which is fairly "Family Friendly". So it will have a restricted audience.
Is there a way around this? You could could bleep out words, which would highlight the type of language used without repeating it. What are you trying to achieve?

Judith said...

How explicit do you have to be about your gangster theme? You could use the concept of the chase without having to make such a direct link to the gangster movie genre - thus getting round the problem of appropriateness to audience. The trick is to think of a premise that would get your intended audience motivated to find your hidden objects -there must be lots of possibilities here - how literal do you need to be?

david_smith said...

Following on from Judith's comment about appropriateness, it might be worth checking out the film Bugsy Malone (1976), a 1920s set gangster spoof musical featuring children, and directed by Alan Parker. They're sure to have it in the library.