I'm making a mediascape up on White Sheet Downs, near Mere, Wiltshire. I want to experiment with layers of images, that create a 'daydream' or poetic film-like piece in response to various factors including where the user has walked on the hill. White Sheet has lots of interesting features, bronze age earthworks, a hill fort, round barrows, rare wildlife species, a light flying club... all sorts of history. Most striking though is the amazing view to the west, and the expansiveness of the sky, and soft shapes of the hills - as though a giant hand squidged shapes in wet clay. So that's the kind of thing I hope to capture... I know using the screen is going to prove challenging in the glare of sunlight, and also how to balance an artistic 'film' with meaningful input from the user. As I want this to reflect movement and stillness, using the trace and then playing when there is no movement sounds a good idea.
Ideally I'd like to come up with a piece that could work in other locations too - either to take a taste of WhiteSheet to another location, or to easily change some of the source content but use the same structure & programming. So if I achieve that then it could transfer to Southville.. or anywhere!
Ideas, comments & feedback welcome!
2 comments:
Do you want the response to users' interactions with the landscape to be articulated within Mediascape pieces or in a gallery setting and where does your authorship/interpretation come into play?
Yes, I'd like their interaction to be obviously articulated within the mediascape, so they have a direct effect on their experience and , if you like, my authorship's response to their movement. I imagine it like a dialogue - I'm saying here are some visual responses to this landscape from me as an artist, they are then receiving those responses through the 'random' filter of their own journey. The next 'step' would be to add in more of a conscious choice from them - as direct user input maybe by through deliberate game-like movement or another type of input. That's where I'm less confident of the software /my programming skills to make this work! It may be something to keep on hold for a future project..
The gallery I'm seeing as a reflection of the live mscape, but not in real time (yet!). So it could replay a 'film', as well as show some visual documentation of the hills and the process of walking and interacting with the ipaq.
Post a Comment